News & Events
- Vacation Bible School will be hosted at First Presbyterian Church (2101 N. Herritage St.) in partnership with St. Mary’s Episcopal Church and Gordon Street Christian Church on June 19-22 from 9am to noon. This year the theme is “Abundance Orchard, Where Faith Grows and Hungry People are Fed.” To register call 252-522-1921 or register here. Youth and adult volunteers are also needed.
Sunday School – 9:45-10:45am
• Nursery care is available for younger children. Our nursery staff provide experienced, warm Christian care along with Bible Stories and songs each week.
• Elementary Class (Preschool -5th grade) – experiences Godly Play, an imaginative way to present scripture using simple visual materials. For more details about this unique approach to Christian Education, see our “Godly Play at a Glance” handout. Rm. 163.
• Youth Class (6th-12th grades) – examines relevant faith and life issues using the latest music, movies, news, and current events. Through engaging Bible study, youth will be equipped to evaluate their world from a biblical perspective. Rm. 124.
• ‘Faith Cafe’ is a Sunday morning gathering for 6th-12th grades that alternates between Mary’s Kitchen & Bojangles. Fall dates are Nov. 8(Bojangles), March 8 (Bojangles), Dec. 6 (Bojangles).
Additional Activities for Children & Youth:
• Trunk or Treat
• Annual Christmas Play
• Church-wide Christmas Caroling
• Summer Mission Trip for Youth
• Youth Retreats
• Special seasonal events
For more information, contact Rachel D. Benton, Coordinator of Children & Youth Ministries, firstname.lastname@example.org or 252-522-1921, ext. 102
Kids’ Club – Sundays from 4:00-5:30pm approximately twice a month, all Kindergarten through 5th graders are invited to participate in Kids’ Club for a time of learning, service, fellowship, food, and fun! Our time together includes bible stores, games, discussion, crafts, mission projects, field trips, and more. A simple dinner is provided. Fall dates are: Sept. 20, Oct. 4, Oct. 25 (4:00-6:30pm), Nov. 1, Nov. 15 (12-3pm), Dec. 6, Dec. 20(Time TBA).
Presbyterian Youth Connection
PYC (Presbyterian Youth Connection) – Sundays from 5:00-7:00pm. Approximately twice a month, all 6th-12th graders are invited to participate in PYC for a time of learning, service, fellowship, food, and fun. Our time together includes bible study, discussion on how the Bible connects with our everyday lives, putting our faith into action through mission & service, building Christian community, hands-on activities, field trips, and of course laughter and plenty of good times! A simple dinner is provided. Fall dates are: Sept 20, Oct. 4, Oct. 25 (4:00-6:30pm), Nov. 1, Nov. 15 (12-3pm), Dec. 6, Dec. 19 (5:30-8:30pm).
Children & Worship
Worship is one of the basic ways people learn what it means to be a Christian. Children learn how to worship by worshiping with the congregation. On the flip side, if children aren’t present here with us, we miss out, too! Without children, the body of Christ is incomplete. We need everyone present to complete the circle at God’s Table. By participating in worship, children:
- Learn they belong to God
- Understand they are welcome in the body of Christ
- Recognize they are valued as a fellow child of God
- Hear scripture and begin to see how God might speak to them
- Build strong memories that will inform their faith over time
- Experience liturgy, sacraments, prayers, and other worship traditions that shape their understanding of God
- Know the mystery and wonder of God
- Feel God’s love
Children’s Church & Children’s Choir Following the Time for Young Disciples each week, all children through 5th grade are invited to go to Children’s Choir practice with Miss Michelle. After 15-20 minutes of Children’s Choir, our 4th through 5th graders are escorted back to the sanctuary to participate in the remainder of the worship service. All children in 3rd grade and younger are invited to go to the Elementary Sunday School room for Children’s Church where they will hear Bible Studies and learn about the different components of worship. Following the service, parents may pick up their 3rd grade & younger child[ren] directly from Children’s Church.
Signups & Forms
There are a number of different ways to be involved in our children & youth ministries. See below for a list of opportunities that meet a variety of interests, talents, and time commitments. Through baptism, we are reminded that it is the congregation’s collective responsibility to nurture our young people in the faith. We may not all be biological parents or grandparents, but through baptism we are all godparents!
Online sign-ups are available below, paper sign-up sheets are in the narthex, or contact Rachel D. Benton, Coordinator of Children & Youth Ministries directly at email@example.com.
Children’s Sunday School (Preschool-5th grade)
Youth Sunday School (6th-12th grade)
Children’s Church Leaders (during 11am worship)
Kids’ Club Leaders/Helpers (K-5th grades on Sunday nights)
PYC Leaders/Helpers (6th-12th grades on Sunday nights)
Meal Provider for Kids’ Club/PYC (Sunday nights)